

A bird's-eye view from the Sears Tower!! 
So I had to have a "normal" fall race after the disaster weather that Chicago brought! If you haven't already heard or read about what happened the day of the marathon, I'll tell you in a very small nutshell. It was a record breaking 93 degrees on a beautiful October day in Chicago. Due to the unexpected heat, race authorities were unprepared and ended up canceling the marathon three and a half hours in. One man died and hundreds of others needed medical care. They ran out of water and Gatorade and ended up MAKING runners walk and not letting anyone finish- more than half of the runners "15,000" never finished. Weird and crazy. My version is much longer than this (for anyone who knows me well, knows that I can never tell a story in just one paragraph) so if you want the longer version you'll have to call me! :) Fortunately, I did finished and had a pretty normal marathon experience. I was lucky enough to start in the first couple thousand people so had enough water and Gatorade and finished the race in a decent time.
On a lighter note, Chicago is a great city!! We had a blast all the other days we were there! We stayed with our good friends Heidi and Clark Smith who had just moved there from Boston. We ate a lot of deep dish pizza and hung out around Wrigley Stadium for Jo. We also went on a really beautiful architecture tour. A great city with tons to do, the shopping was phenomenal!! Too bad I'm not a millionaire.
New York was here and gone in a flash. We took the Grey Hound Bus on Friday night, hung out all day Saturday, ran the marathon on Sunday and jumped back in the Grey Hound (soar and stiff) to arrive back in Boston late Sunday night. What a weekend!! The marathon was AWESOME!! There's nothing like it! The crowd support is amazing and the course is the most intertaining 26.2 miles you could hope for. I did really well and ran a personal best, so I was thrilled.
Happy Running :)
Art Institute of Chicago... amazing! 

8 comments:
You are right- I think you are nuts! But it makes you feel great so that is what matters. Way to go on finishing them both. I did hear about that Chicago marathon craziness. Oh and did your hubby run these with you?
I have been meaning to comment for quite some time. You two are adorable, and I am loving your new short hair! I look at your photo website all the time, and I love it...you are so talented!
Muranda Warner Barker
Love the pics Cass!! I am glad you're getting back into the blogging world! I am glad the NYC trip and race went so well! What was your time? You can't post that you had a "personal best" and not tell us what it was?!?! Good for you!! I'll just pretend I'm exercising vicariously through you!! hehe!
you are my hero
I mean, you are my hero Angie.
Way to go on the marathons. Yes you are crazy, but inspiring. Maybe I'll run a marathon one of these days...
You are my hero Cassi. I wish I had it in me to run a marathon!
Hey Cass,I know this is random but I found your blog and jsut wanted to say hi. I was reading about your marathon experience. I heard all about that Chicago marathon. THat was the same weekend of the St. George marathon. Crazy! I would love to you sometime. I had a crazy marathon experience last year in Boston. The weather was insane! You look like you are doing well. I hope to hear from you sometime! -Keri
Post a Comment